Creating Theme for bKIDS classes
Certification Training: Online Session
Please watch the following film, Sita Sings the Blues. Create 3 themed bKIDS classes from the film using the following forms for your preferred age group/s. Keep in mind that some of the content in the film is not appropriate for all ages, but there are social, cultural, behavioral and emotional competencies that can be inspired from the content for any age group.
These exercises are based on Metaphor from the Mat and understanding developmental stage, which you will learn more about in your Practicum Training. Until then, this is a reminder of our discussion about Koshas, one of the primary philosophies of our curriculum. The traditional understanding of Koshas can be made more accessible to Western youth through the understanding of 5 stacked or over layered bodies that we are able to access at varying levels. You are encouraged to do a bit of your own research about the Yogic Koshas to develop a deeper understanding, but the following is a review of the concept as described in your theory training. Keep in mind that viewing existence in this way in not the norm and so requires an open mind and willingness to paradigm shift.
- Physical: the outermost body and most accessible because it is directly connected to the senses and is given much attention in society.
- Mental: the layer beneath the physical and connected to our minds. This body is also easily accessed as our society and culture place much value on the mental body through our major institutions - academics, politics, media, bureaucracy etc.
- Emotional: the emotional body is more abstract as we spend less time learning to explore our emotions, or are less supported in understanding them. Most westerners will have a difficult time describing emotions in language, and are in less control of emotions as a result of spending the majority of their time in the physical and mental bodies.
- Spiritual/Energetic: near the core of our being, the spiritual/energetic body is where intuition, synchronicity and connection to a higher power live. We may experience this body through coincidence, magic and faith, but accessing it intentionally requires much support and practice.
- Joy or Bliss: this body is described in latin as duende, or the magic place in us where "god" works through us. It is accessed through the things we love most and can be described as the place in which we lose track of time or feel in complete unity with the universe. Some would consider it the purest form of Self. To be in contact with the Joy body is to be aligned with one's highest purpose.
These exercises are meant to be challenging, and there is no right answer. Part of the intention is to encourage outside the box thinking and cognitive dissonance - neither are easy, so be gentle with yourself. Forms can be submitted separately and you may choose to submit all 3 sessions for the same age group by leaving the page and returning. You have until May 16th to complete this portion of your online training.
Please reach out if you have any questions.